Prerequisites, Textbooks, Learning outcomes, Assessment, ECTS
Participation requires a high school exam or comparable.
Reading material for preparation will be available for registered participants ca. four weeks before course start. Please calculate 10 hours of preparation. Other course materials are provided by the teachers in the form of photocopies. This material is included in the course fee.
After the course, the participants will:
- Have a common understanding of the phenomenon of tourism and its history
- Have a good overview of the main theories that social scientists use to analyze tourism practices
- Have a good knowledge of cultural- and heritage tourism, and its relation to authenticity and identity formation
- Have a good knowledge of Icelandic nation building during the 19th and 20th centuries
- Have knowledge of a wide variety of activities which connect the tourist with nature in coastal areas and his/her interaction with the local people
- preparatory reading
- regular, active participation
- exercises, group work
- additional forms available if required by the student's home university
Participants will receive a certification of participation from the University Centre of the Westfjords on completion of the course.
The University Centre of the Westfjords recommends that this course should, with regard to work load for the students, yield 2 ECTS.