Law of the Sea 4 ECTS
|CMM17/HRT0176||Valnámskeið kennt við HA, í fjarfundi.
|Period||V2 - V3||09.01.12 - 20.01.12
NámskeiđslýsingThis course an overview of regulations of the law of the sea. Special emphasis is placed on marine resources. The main emphasis is placed on United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, customary international law and new contracts that strengthen the regulations of United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea. After a brief historical introduction, topics such as baselines, internal waters, territorial sea, island clusters, the economic zone, continental shelf, high seas, international sea bed area, sailing, swimming, fishing, whaling, marine demarcation, and conflict resolution will be examined. The aim of the course is for students to be able to explain how different waters are defined in international law and that they are able to explain the rights and obligations of coastal states and other countries in different waters. Particular attention will be paid to the polar regions when appropriate.
HćfniviđmiđAt the end of the course, students will be able to:
- locate and interpret legal authority of law of the sea;
- explain how various waters are limited;
- describe and explain rights and obligations of coastal states and other countries in different waters;
- use rules of law of the sea when working on projects related to polar regions.
- Iceland's Environment and Natural Resources 1 ECTS
- Understanding the Coast and the Ocean 4 ECTS
- ICZM: Introduction and Theory 4 ECTS
- Coastal and Marine Ecology 6 ECTS
- Applied Methodology 2 ECTS
- Coastal and Marine Conservation: Marine Protected Areas 4 ECTS
- Coastal Heritage Conservation and Management 2 ECTS
- Physical Processes of Coastal and Marine Environment 4 ECTS