ICZM: Introduction and Theory 4 ECTS
|Tímabil||V39 - V40
||26.09.11 - 07.10.11
NámskeiđslýsingThe decline of coastal areas and marine resources requires both cross-disciplinary research and comprehensive and integrated management, both at local and global level. This course will introduce the concepts, principles, approaches, processes and issues of integrated coastal and ocean management through a review of ICM (Integrated Coastal Zone Management or ICZM) history and development within a global context. An overview of different management strategies, as well as the meaning of integration in the governing of natural resources, will be presented. Country case studies will be presented and examined. Successes and failures of integrated coastal and ocean management will be discussed and analysed.
- Students will gain an understanding of Integrated Coastal and Ocean Management as a field of knowledge, based on its history and most recent developments.
- Students will appreciate the complexity of coastal and marine management.
- Students will be able to integrate different aspects of ICM, from a social, economical and ecological perspective, to assess problems and issues.
- Students will be capable of applying their understanding and interpretation of coastal areas to design integrated management plans to approach coastal and marine issues.
- Iceland's Environment and Natural Resources 1 ECTS
- Understanding the Coast and the Ocean 4 ECTS
- ICZM: Introduction and Theory 4 ECTS
- Coastal and Marine Ecology 6 ECTS
- Applied Methodology 2 ECTS
- Coastal and Marine Conservation: Marine Protected Areas 4 ECTS
- Coastal Heritage Conservation and Management 2 ECTS
- Physical Processes of Coastal and Marine Environment 4 ECTS