Geographical Information Systems 4 ECTS
|Period||V9 - V10||27.02.12 - 09.03.12|
|Instructor||Lorraine Gray and Astrid Fehling (practicals)
NámskeiđslýsingIntroduction to the concepts, principles, approaches, and issues associated with Geographical Information Systems. No previous exposure to GIS necassary. The course will provide the student with an understanding of the basic concepts of GIS and its role as a data management tool in coastal zone management. It will provide students with an understanding of the techniques of GIS data and spatial analysis. The course is divided between lectures and laboratories and an emphasis is places on practical experience using GIS software (ArcGIS).
HćfniviđmiđOn completing this course the student will have:
- An awareness of the main sources of spatially referenced data
- Skills and practical experience in handling spatially referenced data
- A knowledge of GIS data, data models and spatial databases
- An appreciation of issues relating to data quality in GIS
- An awareness of how GIS is used in coastal zone management
She then went on to teach ecology in further education in Scotland. In 2004, she moved to Shetland to work for Shetland Islands Council surveying and mapping contaminated land. She also had a short contract environmental auditing the Council, before taking up a post at the NAFC Marine Centre.
For the past six years she has been responsible for taking the Shetland Marine Spatial Plan from inception through to implementation. One of the keys to success of the Plan was securing stakeholder involvement, and this included mapping fishing grounds through one-to-one interviews and workshops with the local fleet. Lorraine retains direct involvement with developers, planners, regulators and other stakeholders to advice on site selection and to facilitate pre-application consultation.
- Iceland's Environment and Natural Resources 1 ECTS
- Understanding the Coast and the Ocean 4 ECTS
- ICZM: Introduction and Theory 4 ECTS
- Coastal and Marine Ecology 6 ECTS
- Applied Methodology 2 ECTS
- Coastal and Marine Conservation: Marine Protected Areas 4 ECTS
- Coastal Heritage Conservation and Management 2 ECTS
- Physical Processes of Coastal and Marine Environment 4 ECTS